Movie Trailers and such

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon -- 2000 -- PG-13

This film won 4 academy awards, and none of them (except maybe best foreign film) had anything to do with the quality of the storyline or the film as a whole. Having heard good things about this picture, I knew I'd watch it eventually, and after doing so, I was grossly disappointed.

I can't really fault the dialogue since it was filmed in Chinese and dubbed into English, although the dialogue was rather lifeless through most of the film. While the film got off to a decent start, it was a painfully long time before anything remotely interesting happened. Just a lot of wordy, boring, slow scenes. And when we hit a fight scene, it was boring as well. 

The only point of interest in this first fight scene was the almost divine jumping ability of the combatants, however, it quickly turned into shoddy wire work as the actors were clearly "flown" from rooftop to rooftop, their legs flailing as they went along like watching the Broadway version of Peter Pan. I'm thinking, "You've got to be kidding."

I was completely removed from the experience after this point since it looked so ridiculous. The characterizations were fine attempts, and had the plot not been so paper thin, I might have been able to get into them. Once again, though, the scenes were wordy and boring. Fight after fight was poorly choreographed. I was just waiting to see how they would turn it out, and the ending didn't even make sense. I'm sure it was very impressionistic and deep, meaning (if you know about impressionistic art) it doesn't make sense -- don't try to make it make sense.

I did finally figure out, however, the deal with the shoddy wire work. Apparently, this martial arts discipline knows how to suspend their weight, and for all intents and purposes, fly. Had I known this BEFORE the first battle, I'd've totally been into it. Without this very vital piece of info, though, it was just another Broadway production of Peter Pan.

If this was the best foreign film of 2000, I would be frightened to see the other contenders. This is actually really sad since the Japanese Ringu 0 was a far, far, far superior film to this tripe.

But hey, great cinematography, music, and art design.

No comments:

Post a Comment