Movie Trailers and such

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy -- 1981 -- NR

This is a 6-part serial that appeared on BBC and then was on PBS for a little bit. Personally, I could swear I watched this when I was younger, but I didn't remember any of it when I saw it again. This version was based on the radio plays which eventually spawned the book.

The first four episodes were pretty good. It had a really good flow, decent pacing, some clever and funny gags and jokes, we were getting into the characters and their situations, and the fourth episode even ended on a good cliff hanger. After four episodes, I'm thinking this is a very funny, off the wall series. I was enjoying every moment. And then they apparently ran out of ideas.

Episode five dragged horribly. There was no direction for the characters to take and for the most part nothing at all happened. Finally, they escaped in some kind of ship, but it still didn't indicate any direction or goal for the characters. 

Episode six wasn't much better. Still no direction. Two of the main characters disappeared into oblivion; no clue what happened to them. And then our heroes end up in a Planet of the Apes situation on Earth to live out their days knowing it was going to be destroyed in two million years. How they got that far back in time is never explained.

So it had a really good start, but as soon as stuff got introduced, it got dropped and never returned to. I'm not even sure what the point was of the series. Usually, if a series has a beginning and end, they are striving towards a specific goal, but this one got lost in the shuffle...in fact, I don't even know if it had one. 

However, we did get the question to the answer of 42 for the menaing of life, the universe, and everything. What is it? Hm, should I make you suffer through the 6 episodes of the series to find it?

No comments:

Post a Comment